LOVE YOUR SPROUTS
Vitamin A to support eye health and immune function.
Vitamin K for blood pressure regulation, cell, nerve and muscle function.
Anti-oxidants for constant cell repair and blood pressure regulation.
Folate (Vitamin B9) to ensure optimum DNA and cell manufacture.
Importantly, folate prevents neural tube defects during pregnancy, helps to prevent anaemia and cognitive decline, and may reduce the risk of certain cancers.
Fibre – you can read much more about the many health benefits fibre by visiting lwnutrition.co.uk/fibre-facts/ The fibre in sprouts will promote good gut bacteria too!www.lwnutrition.co.uk/gutbacteria/
Omega 3, essential for its anti-inflammatory properties, is unusually high in sprouts. Of course you’ll get far more from eating oily fish but it’s important to eat as much Omega 3 as possible.
All the polyunsaturated fatty acids we need can be made from Omega 6 (Linoleic acid) and Omega 3 (Alpha Linoleic Acid) in our diet. Omega 6 has essential cholesterol lowering properties while Omega 3 is anti-inflammatory and as such reduces the risk of heart disease and stroke. It’s important to eat the right balance of Omega 6 : Omega 3. In the UK our intake is 10:1 but a balanced intake of 2:1 is actually recommended.
Stir-fry your left over sprouts in rapeseed oil (which is also a good source of omega 3 and tolerates heat well) with chopped chorizo.
Steam sprouts a little, then squash them roughly and roast in rapeseed oil, adding sundried tomatoes and walnut pieces just before the end of cooking. Drizzle with walnut oil for an extra dose of Omega 3.
You can source cold-pressed rapeseed oil from the highlands in Scotland from http://www.cullisse.com and walnut and other oils and vinegars from https://www.oilvinegar.com/en-gb/products/walnut-oil/
Join me for our next Gut Health Course ... so that your health and nature can thrive together! Our new course wraps up 10 years of rapidly growing gut health research to help your health (and nature) thrive! If you’re coping with digestive, inflammatory or weight...
Tis the season to be busy in the kitchen! Looking after no. 1 as we head towards Christmas takes more than healthy food - this month I've been learning more about the power of our breathing to calm stress levels - please try the simple exercise below and feel the...
What's been happening? We were delighted to receive such a fabulous review for The Gut Project, our Gut Health course, from Katy Murray of The Buzz Hub Co, a fabulous directory of great local businesses in Herts, Beds and Bucks! Katy came along to the course and you...
Bread - What's in a healthy loaf? The wheat is ripe and ready to harvest! For thousands of years, 'Bread' meant 'life'. So why does this staple food cause digestive issues for so many? Much of our bread has lost its nutritional value with a focus on quantity rather...
What does 'Plant-based' really mean? We now know from fabulus research that plant-based is the way ahead for our health and our planet. But here's the crucial bit - it means a diet BASED around plants - 70% of our plate in fact. The other 30% will do wonders for your...
Dr Lucy Williamson Msc
I am a freelance registered Nutritionist working in greater London, to inform and inspire better health for all, through Nutrition. I would be delighted to hear from you! You can contact me here.